Wednesday, May 14, 2008

My 30th Birthday Party

I suppose it's about time, a week and a half later, to talk about my birthday party. It was fun.

The End.




Just kidding. I got off work and picked up a keg at Belmont Station, a bar and beer store (beer store? Is that a phrase people use?). When did a keg get so goddamned expensive? $100 refundable deposit, and $165 for the beer! Sure, I got a good, local microbrew, but still. I was considering a cheap domestic, until I saw that Budweiser was $110. Anyway... besides some early arrivers, people started showing up around 8-ish. We had some ping-pong going in the shack, a big fire roaring in the backyard fire pit, the beer flowing, and other people hanging out inside. All told, approximately 40-50 people made their way through the party. It's always a good sign when friends bring friends, when you run into acquaintances at your party; people you wouldn't think to invite come and say "hi." About 11-ish, we cracked open the pinata and feasted on the goodies inside. It was mostly candy, but Midge also packed in fake teeth and pirate eye patches. Those were fun. And then at midnight, the crowning achievement of the night (literally).
Midge lit my flaming birthday crown. She made it herself out of a paper crown, some candles, and a hot glue gun. Since everyone was looking, I decided to make a grandiose, impromptu speech. People started to filter out a bit after that. It was a Friday, and we're all getting old. But like most parties, people came and went throughout the night. The latest-arriving guests came in time to sit by the fire, play some Wii, and work on the beer. The next day, we slept until about 2.











Perhaps the funniest part of the entire weekend happened Saturday night. Midge and I were tired, and watching a crappy movie (The Day After Tomorrow), when our good friends E and J knocked on the door. This was about 10:30. Here's how the conversation went:
"Happy birthday! Where's the party?"
"Um, the party was last night."
"What?"

We were disappointed on Friday that they hadn't come, but we figured it was because they were busy. Oh well.


I give my 30th birthday party 30 years out of 30.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Hey, sounds like you had a great time! Congrats on turning 30. Wish I was there.

Stanley said...

“Men make love more intensely at 20, but make love better, however, at 30." - Catherine II of Russia

A little consolation for you.

Looks like a party I would have liked to attend. Sorry I missed it my friend. As always, you are a pimp. However, please refrain from the sappy posts. I know you love your wife, but I just went into a diabetic seizure reading your previous post.