Thursday, October 9, 2008

Back to School

Some of you know this, others don't, but I'm taking a class at the local community college on website design. The certificate program takes one year to complete, if you're going full-time. I am obviously not. However, I think I'll take more than one class next term, and will be able to get through it in a year anyway, if you count the summer.

It's not that I want to design websites for a living, although there are worse jobs in the world. I really want to make myself more versatile, and more attractive to employers. I already know how to write, and how the media works. I want to be able to produce in multiple media, and get hired for P.R. or something similar. I've had trouble finding a different job, even though I've applied for numerous things. With our awful economy and my relative inexperience in the field, I realize that in order to get a good job, I need someone to take a chance on me. That doesn't seem to be happening, so I'm trying to take steps to make myself a better risk for an employer. A coworker and friend of mine is getting out of our current work, and I have to say that I'm jealous. She's not getting into a field I'm interested in, but it does provide some hope to me that there's something else out there for me. Wish me luck.

I give learning new skills and expanding myself... oh... about $500 in tuition and software.

3 comments:

Stanley said...

I often ponder doing that...but then the evening rolls around and it's cocktail time.

Seriously: Nice job on the "bettering yourself" thing. Hope it pays off.

Midge said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alicia said...

Good for you, Maxie. If you're interested in a job in PR, you might consider Dubai, a place where people are desperate for talent. There's still time to escape the giant imploding economic crash-box that is America.... just an idea....