Monday, April 14, 2008

Makin' Ribs

The weather was nice this weekend, and was the first opportunity we've had to barbeque in quite a while. So Midge and I went over to her parents' place to char it up. I haven't got my barbeque in working order as of yet. Anyway, we decided to make ribs, because I like to make them, and all three of us like to eat them (Midge's mom is out of town). We got the jumbo pack at Costco, which has 3 full racks. That requires 3 separate sauces, and I was happy to oblige. One of the sauces was Thai Sweet Chili sauce, which I purchased. The other two I made myself. I was really rusty, though, and they didn't quite turn out how I wanted. I don't really follow recipes too well, and kind of winged these from memory. They only turned out so-so. Here's a rough recipe for each:

Whisky Molasses Sauce
- A pour of whiskey
- A scoop of tomato paste
- Water
- A good pour of molasses
- A big scoop of brown sugar
- A pour of vinegar
- Mustard Powder

Blackberry Jelly Sauce
- Half a jar of Seedless Blackberry Jelly
- A good pour of vinegar
- Mustard Powder
- Cumin


These are not the ribs I made. These are likely better.

In my opinion, the Whiskey Molasses sauce was the weakest, with too much molasses and whisky. They overpowered everything else. I liked the Blackberry Jelly sauce overall. The sweetness of the jelly burned off on the grill, and left behind the mustard and cumin nicely. The Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce is always delicious.

Here's what I need from you, and if the comment page is left blank, I'll be disappointed. What do you put in your sauces, and do you have any suggestions for me?

I rate the Whiskey Sauce 2 whisks out of 6, and the Blackberry Jelly Sauce 4 whisks out of 6.

No comments: