Friday, April 18, 2008

Good Rap Music in Bad Commercials

At first I thought it was cool: songs from hip-hop artists whom I respect, showing up on national tv commercials. But I now am starting to find it annoying. One of my favorite hip-hop groups, Portland's own Lifesavas, have a sweet beat off their newest album on a GMC commercial. You can watch it here.

And now, last night, I heard a track off the latest Pharoah Monch album on a SEARS commercial. Fucking Sears? Really? One of the best "underground" rappers in the biz is in a Sears commercial? Yikes. And I say that as a former Sears employee. I worked there for 3+ years. I know how lame that place is. I can't find the video online yet. I saw it for the first time last night. You can listen to it on Pharoah Monch's myspace page. It's called "Body Baby."

These are great songs, by great artists. I'm sad that TV commercials are apparently the best platform for their music.

I give this trend 1 mic out 8.

No comments: