Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A Tale of 10 Meats

This year Midge and I went out for Easter Brunch by ourselves. For the last 10 years, her parents have taken us out to a fancy downtown hotel (The Benson) for Easter brunch, where we eat with her parents' longtime family friends and their kids. It's a very fancy affair, and we stuff ourselves silly. But this year, Midge's parents are in Las Vegas over Easter. They paid for us to go by ourselves, and it was much different than before. When you have a large group, they put you at a big, round table in the ballroom upstairs. A bunch of light spills into the room from high windows, and all of the food is on a 60-foot-long stretch of table. Since it was just the two of us this year, they sat us downstairs at a table for two. All of the food was broken up over several islands. But the real difference was that we were alone. Now don't get me wrong, I love spending time with my wife. But I've come to enjoy the annual socializing of Easter brunch. We're making up for it later this month with brunch somewhere else, but it won't be the same.

My whining aside, here's the highlight of the brunch: I ate 10 different kinds of meat. 10!!! Here they are, in no particular order:

1.Bacon
2.Ham
3.Prosciutto
4.Smoked Salmon
4.Crab Legs
5.Halibut (plus the mystery meat it was stuffed with)
6.Chicken
7.Prime Rib
8.Mussels
9.Oysters
10.Lamb

I haven't eaten that well (or that much) in a long time. I give the brunch 8 easter eggs out of ten. The other two eggs are for Marisa's missing parents.

1 comment:

Midge said...
This comment has been removed by the author.