Friday, December 12, 2008

I Love Basketball



I really do. I've been playing basketball a couple times a week for a while now, and it's doing wonders for me. I'm getting back to the point where I feel confident in my jump shot under any circumstance, from just about any spot. I am once again able to handle the ball under pressure, without turning it over. I play on Tuesdays with a bunch of guys who are all good players, in their 30's. We play pretty good ball, with lots of defensive effort and good offensive movement. It's fun, but I need to exercise more often than once a week, so I play at 24 Hour Fitness against all the douchebags, too. It can be frustrating, but it's getting better as I improve. Last night I was on fire, dropping 3's and scoring in bunches. I was also rebounding and defending, which are not my strong suit. But in typical gym fashion, the guys who fashioned themselves point guards started jacking shots, most of them ill-advised. That's the real problem with playing at the gym: there are too many shoot-first guys. Nobody tries on defense either.

I also love watching basketball. The Blazers have been really fun to see this year, and much to Midge's consternation, they play about 3 times a week. It's like an old friend who drops in exactly when I want to see him, but doesn't wear out his welcome. Unless you're Midge.

I give basketball five alley-oop slam dunks. I give you a big "and one" for finishing this pointless blog. Kudos!

No comments: