Monday, January 14, 2008

Nintendo Wii


So as I mentioned in an earlier post, I got a Nintendo Wii for Christmas. I normally am a sports game only kind of video gamer. I love NBA Live and NCAA Football for my PS 2. But I played the Wii at a friend's house earlier this year and fell in love. I realize I'm not breaking any new ground here, but I've had so much fun with that thing. In addition to the sports game the console comes with, we bought a few games, too. We've had a couple of Wii parties so far, too, to great success. Here's a couple of quick reviews on the games we have.

Super Paper Mario:
This game captures the fun of the old Super Nintendo "Mario Brothers" franchise, but also utilizes the graphics capabilities of the Wii. The game is mostly played in 2D,a flat look. But to get through the levels, you must flip Mario into the third dimension, a clever way to make the challenges more interesting. My only beef with the game is the sheer amount of exposition. It's good that the game has a story, but you can go 20 minutes without actually playing, just reading the storyline.
I give this game three and a half mustaches.

Wario Ware - Smooth Moves:
I love this game. It basically consists of dozens of mini-games, designed to utilize the unique Wii controller to its full effect. There are dozens of ways to move the controller. For example: the remote control. You hold the controller like a remote control, and then mimic the move shown on screen. You have 3-5 seconds to figure out what you're supposed to do, and then do it. But with so many moves, you have to think quick to pass the game. It's a great party game, because you can hand off the controller to everyone.
I give this game four bulbous pink noses.

Wii Play:
This is the weakest of the games, but is good for Wii novices. It consists of ten or so mini-games that teach the basic moves you can do with the controller. Most of them are simple, and forgettable. However, ping-pong, air hockey, and the cow races are a lot of fun.
I give this game one big shoulder shrug and an "eh."

Wii Sports:
This is the basic game that comes with the console. It contains several sports, bowling, tennis, baseball, boxing, golf, and maybe one other. Bowling is the best. It's reasonably realistic, and a lot of fun. Tennis is great, as is golf. Boxing is tiring, and the controls are kind of vague. I was never sure why some punches were more successful than others. Baseball isn't even worth trying.
I give this game a turkey (that's three strikes in a row in bowling. Score!)

Overall, I have to say the Wii is the greatest game console ever. That said, I still haven't played NBA Live or other sports simulation games. I will try them in the future, but we'll see. Also, the Mii feature is a ton of fun. It allows you to design characters to play the games. We made ourselves, our friends, and a few other characters for fun, including Lil' Hitler and Kim Jong Il (Kimmy J).

No comments: